Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Dealing with irrationality

So, one of the things I really like about my job is working through people's irrationality. The job search process is obviously very stressful and it is interesting to see how it impacts people -- one would think that developers and Quants would somehow be immune (given the logical nature of their work) but one would be wrong.

What kind of irrational things do people do? Canceling final interviews where they are expected to be given an offer. Choosing lesser groups at lesser firms. Falling prey to unethical recruiter's manipulations.

For example, we were working with an individual who had been out of work for a couple of months. He had done several rounds with our client, a well known bank in NYC. We scheduled a final interview for him to meet with HR.

On the day of the interview, he calls at 7:30 a.m. and leaves a message to cancel the interview. Of course, when I call him back he doesn't answer his phone. I call at least 10 times that day, no response. E-mail, no response.

I postponed the interview with the client and started to think. I reexamined my notes -- he didn't have any other opportunities that sounded really promising, just an opportunity at a software company that had been in the news for some of it's executives being indicted. Why would he cancel the interview at the last moment?

I tried his number for the next 2 weeks (we never give up here :) and still no answer. Hmmm. Maybe he really did start at the other company. Well, I guess I can all the switchboard at the company and ask for him.

Me: Is Vlad K available?
Software company: One minute while I transfer you.

NO WAY! My mind is racing. what am I going to say? don't get angry, anger produces nothing. Don't jump. Walk...

Vlad: Hello, this is Vlad
Me: (trying to sound really chipper) Hey Vlad, this is John Keenan .

Silence

Vlad: How did you get this number?
Me: I know a lot of people at XYZ software (small lie, I "know" the operator)
Vlad: Oh.
Me: I just wanted to touch base b/c I wanted to exit from the Ibank interview process gracefully and I wanted to make sure they did not look at the cancellation of the interview in a negative light, which could stop you from working there in the future.
Vlad: Ok.
Me: Yeah, so, I'm not angry or anything, I just need to give them a good reason for why we canceled the interview. So, the way we left it, you were going in Thursday for the interview and then you called and left me a message to cancel.
Vlad: That was because I decided to take this job.
Me: Right, so here's the thing, the purpose of the meeting was to give you an offer.
Vlad: I know, but I was going to take this job.
Me: I understand, but wouldn't it make sense to have two offers, b/c that way you could evaluate them. Maybe the banks offer would pay more. Maybe a lot more.
Vlad: Well, I had decided on this job.
Me: Hmm. Let me ask you a couple of questions. did the recruiter for XYZ know you were interviewing at this bank.
Vlad: I might have told him, I'm not sure.
Me: Did he know that you had a final interview for Thursday morning?
Vlad: Uh, maybe.
Me: And did he ask you to cancel the meeting b/c he needed to start a background check or something like that.
Vlad: Well, he said I had to fill out paperwork that day or I would lose the job.
Me: ahh.
Vlad: What?
Me: Do you think it is possible that he knew you were interviewing at the bank and that the bank would offer you a better position with more money than XYZ could offer? And do you think maybe he made up the fact that you had to come in THAT DAY so that you would have to cancel the interview with the bank.
Vlad: Ohhhhh
Me: Don't worry Vlad, I've seen this before.
Vlad: Really?
Me: Yes, but it's OK, I told HR you were out of town the last two weeks. So when can you stop by HR?

No comments: